Here is a list of miscellaneous pieces of information that don’t relate to a story or particular event… just little things I picked up that I thought were interesting.
- The grass roof hut is still a very common structure for Belizians to live in, especially outside of the major cities – in the jungle areas.
- Typical meals include rice, beans, and chicken. Iguana is considered a delicacy.
- To get around, people most often walk or take the bus. Bicycles are also an option.
- Many of the staff at our hotel actually live onside for several months and then will go home for a few weeks. One person said they live about 4 hours away by bus towards the west, near the border between Belize and Guatemala
- When a group of us went snorkeling or scuba diving, we talked to the park rangers a little bit. There are 3 rangers for this beautiful little island. The rangers work shifts of 2 weeks on and 1 week off, taking different weeks off so that there is always coverage on the island.
- Many people in the town of La Placentia are from the same family, which makes dating and relationships difficult.